Thursday 19 March 2015

4i, the North London Rich Soul Rapper

Getting lost in Kings Cross station isn't funny… because whether you say ‘take a left’ or ‘take a right’ you're benefiting no one but your Walkometer.

I’m stood outside Costa. A man plays the piano providing an element of tranquillity as the cleaners chase people, who were ignorantly walking over the freshly mopped floor. A Michael Kors bag whacks my breasts as I try to peer over the crowds of people, in search for a dreadlock pineapple.

Well, after several phone calls, we came to realise that we were BOTH lost. It was like an unintentional game of hide and seek but I eventually met 4i. I arrived with that glamorous natural hair-blowing-in-the-wind and something-in-my-eye-but-I'll-keep-smiling look, but he was really cool about it and so we proceeded to sit in a nearby Starbucks.

Hot coffee air, walls covered in coffee bean timelines, people hypnotized by their screens and then there was us engaging in a conversation deeper than Starbuck’s pockets.

Yes, he goes by “4i”. Dominic began to laugh upon reflection of his past regretful tag-names. A North London rapper, who refuses to confine himself in a specific genre, as his music shuffles from poetry to Soul, sometimes dipping into Drum and Base but is also influenced by Reggae rhythms and Hip-hop. His recent mixtape “Soul Rich” dropped in December 2014 and was launched through his Paradime Collective, a group of equally artistic talented minds that helped to celebrate Dominic’s body of work.

But, it’s 4i’s music videos that put the rapper’s journey into context. From the very first video “Headhunters” when his hair was in the brushed-out pony tail stage, the lyrics speak on the grind as he reflects on his pride, which is visually depicted in a rush of time-lapses, showing Barnet crowds, his gym flow and a few faces from the Paradime crew. Now, “Soul Rich” includes ear pricking vocals and optimism but lyrics that relate, delivering his progression as an artist and the professionalism of his team.

I’ve done a bit of working in my life and my soul just tells me: ‘that is not where you were supposed to be.'

Did this stem from school do you think?

I wasn’t so anti-system it was more like ‘why?’ Like one plus one equals two…why? Do you know what I mean? ‘Oh cos that plus sign means you’ve got to add it together’…but WHY?
I was always that guy, it just didn’t make sense to me, but obviously that led me to getting into trouble d’d’d’d’duh, before you know it I was that little rebel at school.

Not even a whole minute went by and I had already dived into the ocean of 4i’s philosophical brain waves.  

How did it all start then?

The story of how I wrote my first verse…I was going through my dad’s CD collection…I don’t know if you know of KRS-One? 90’s Bronx, its proper old school! I heard one track called ‘Criminal Minded’ I must have been 13, 14 at that time… I was like ‘this just sounds so sick.’ And then literally from there, I began chopping up a beat, then wrote my first verse and that’s just how it started.

Your lyricism reminds me of Akala, obviously it’s not that political, but it’s that intelligent…
I was actually at a show with him the other day.

Whaaat, really?

Yeah, he’s a sick performer. But, no it’s funny you say that cos I’m tryna’ find that balance to make music where people can vibe to it, move to it, but there’s still some substance there as well. I feel Akala is very political, he really wants to put a message across and there’s nothing wrong with that, I really rate people who do that cos we need that.

So how did you go from writing your first verse to becoming 4i?

I was sat at the back of the bus and I was writing down notes on my phone and I just came across 4i, like the number four with the letter I, it looked really cool…Something just resonated. Basically like, the number four in numerology has real characteristics that represent me as a person and I was like ‘that sounds like me, that genuinely sounds like me!’ And the ‘I’ is that level of being aware of everything around you, and I’ve got like a little phrase which basically goes ‘4 is the vibe and I is the vision.’

Not going to lie, when I googled ‘4i’ I couldn’t find much, why is that?

It’s just part of the growth of an independent artist. You gotta’ do everything yourself, I’ve been kind of on-the-low doing my thing, but now we’re really pushing. Before it was the case of finding the music, finding ourselves. But, you’ve definitely found me at a very early time.

Are you into spoken word as well?

In certain songs … I’ll listen to and I’ll be like ‘hmmm, you can’t put a hook here, you can’t really go hard with the bars here, what can you put here? Ah let’s open it up to some spoken word.’ ... it makes you realise what you are ACTUALLY saying, cos lots of people rap in front of a beat, but you take away those beats. People get to hear what the lyrics are about and the substance and the concept rather than just the music and someone bopping their head to it.

I listened to “One Song Away” and you mention using a YouTube beat….

Ah, yeah! Give me a second, I have to remember this! Errr…’You hear this beat I didn’t even lease it, downloaded it off YouTube cos that’s what you do when producers give you stupid quotes like ‘who are you though?’ can’t you see I’m numero uno’ yeah yeah!...

How did you progress from a YouTube beat in ‘One Song Away’ to ‘Soul Rich’?

Shout out to DA, like a really close friend of mine, he does all the production. And it works so well with where my mind is at, where I’m trying to go with my music. That’s why I act funny working with any other producer because I’ve created such a chemistry…they don’t have that spark of inspiration and creativity.
I’m working within a team of close friends, it’s called ‘Paradime.’ So we’ve got my brother Karl who does production, design, he’s also an actor as well, we have DA who does producing, there’s a rapper called Patch he’s about to drop his Pirate E.P that’s coming out, we have Xon who does all the video-graphing, Jonathan again, cameras, editing… Shout out to the whole team. Bobby, Levi, who else is there man?

If it was possible… Dominic would be combing through his dreads to find every single person he’s missed off the list.

A woman’s hand, thick with dead skin, poverty and hopelessness waved around in front of us.
“Sorry, I’m just tryna’ get enough for a coffee,” she said as she revealed her unkempt teeth.
“Nah I haven’t got anything sorry.”
And she left in time to ask a business man who was busy brushing his shoulder off. (No Jay-Z). 

...Erm, why do I feel like I’ve missed someone so important from the team? We want to be the pioneers of our field together.

What’s the one song, which you’ve written that really hit you?

The one that I had a real connection with is ‘Live to Love’ which is the last one because I think it’s so relevant for our time right now. Like just scrap the skill, scrap the metaphors, scrap everything just listen to the message, you know what I mean. That really came from a pure place. But yeah, they all come from an honest place!

Why are your lyrics so clean?

I was raised as a Jehovah’s Witness, so swearing was already forbidden in my household and as a child if I swore that was like…the wooden spoon would come straight out you know.
It’s incredibly degrading. I’ve come across more women hence why I don’t really talk about hoes. Because I’ve never really experienced that sort of element of a woman, well I have but…
And on the n word, for me it’s the history of where it comes from. As much as people like to sugar coat it and say ‘we’ve changed it now’, it’s really not cool.

What’s ‘Deep Space’ about?

When you’re in a relationship there’s this constant ‘ah what you doing?’, ‘come see me’ and there’s times where it’s just like ah you just wanna’ be by yourself. It was inspired by a true experience and I wasn’t even with the person, that’s what killed it. I was just like *kmt* I’m just not on it man, ‘I’m in deep space right now and I’ll get at you when I can.’ I think it’s something that everyone experiences it, everyone talks about it but I’ve never heard it in a song before.

What are some U.K artists that inspire you?

I don’t really listen to U.K artists.

Why?

I have no real reason. I listen to a lot of music from the U.S and I listen to a lot of Reggae. I mean I think who really inspires me right now is Wretch 32, I’m a big fan of Wretch 32 and have been for years.

Why does he stand out?

I feel that there’s loads of lyricists in the UK but few of them who are making moves right now… he’s one of the very few artists that I’d love to work with. I definitely don’t listen to UK rap apart from Wretch 32, nah like all this trap stuff nah not for me.

I stay away from this ‘UK scene’ I feel there’s so much pollution within it. There’s a lot of talent but there’s a lot of monsters as well…just dead music, rappers rapping the same words, the same flows on the same deep voices…

What about female artists?

I don’t know how to pronounce her name, it’s like scissor or…S, Z, A? She is dope. Her sound is wicked! There’s another artists who I’ve been listening to her a lot, it’s Rapsody, she’s from the states and she’s got a dope flow.

Have you ever diverted?

From, music? Nah. Music is in me. I can’t run away from music like I can’t run away from my hands. There have been times, where I’ve thought ‘is the music industry, like what comes with it, is that what I wanna do?’ Nah, I’ve never thought twice, if I blow up or if I don’t blow up.

Who inspires you, musically?

I mean, I’m a big fan of Kendrick Lamar cos I just think what he’s able to do with his music, the concepts that he puts forward, it just sounds so sick. The things he talks about, it’s just so relevant. J. Cole is another artist that I’m a big fan of.

Artists like Lauryn Hill, The Fugees, big fan of Bob Marley, Tu-Pac, Nas, KRS-One. I think Common is sick his album ‘The Dreamer, The Believer’ is one of the best Hip-hop albums, no one really spoke about it but when I heard it I was like ‘Oh my days!!!’ Easily one of my best Hip-hop albums, alongside Illmatic, alongside ‘good Kid M.A.A.D City.’

What have you been up to?

I want to create visuals for 80% 70% of the tape. I put a freestyle out in January. Performing wherever I can. Just as an individual artist, you gotta’ be your own everything you know. I got a few shows lined up coming up to summer and it’s just staying active. 
Me and DA got two projects already; they are there it’s just a matter of timing.

Do you make time to write?

I do make time to write…Sometimes, I’ll sit down to write, I’ll have my pad and my pen and I’ll be playing beats, like three hours of them and I haven’t written anything so…I try to make it a natural process rather than too much thought behind it, I just let it come out.

Did you watch the Grammy awards?

No I didn’t watch them.

Have you seen any award shows recently?

I don’t… watch TV.

Well there’s a debate about the under representation of POC in recent award shows, what’s your view on that?

This is very complex, it’s quite deep. I mean …Why do you feel that you need that, in order for you to feel like your work has been appreciated?

There’s a lot of discrimination involved, I don’t know the ins and outs, but these events are predominantly white events founders, chairman’s you know. So, it doesn’t surprise me at all.
You’ve got all these people now like ‘ahhh how can Macklemore beat Kendrick?!’ I completely agree. But ask them if they ever bought Kendrick’s album? The people who run this, they don’t care who’s a better rapper, they care about statistics… And that’s all they can look at because they’re so disconnected with what’s current right now.

There’s so much, corruption, deception and lies that people drive themselves mad to find the truth.

So how do you find gratification in music?

I had this girl from Botswana who messaged me saying ‘ah you’re music is so great for us, it means so much to us!’ For me, that’s like *dusts hands* job done. Some guy from America…was like, ‘Soul Rich,’ it made every day so much easier for him. And, yeah man that’s SO much more important than some piece of material they’ve put together and carved your name into, you know?

Are you a spiritual person?

It’s very personal, it’s just for ‘you.’ But, it’s funny cos I was raised as a Jehovah’s Witness when I was younger. My parents are still Jehovah’s Witness now and me, I’ve kind of gone on my own little journey. Just being like, okay that’s one molecule of the bigger picture, let me go out there and explore for myself and see what else is out there. And that’s the journey I’m on right now.

Why did you choose to grow dreads?

What dreads represent to me, is honesty its truth, it stands for….I don’t wanna say ‘individuality’ but it says so much about a person in terms of patience that someone will have in order to grow dreadlocks. When Samson’s hair was cut off he lost his strength, it took away his manhood and dreads are associated with lions, being strong being fierce but at the same time protecting your family. Hence why I thought ‘let me get them,’ once you lock them up *kisses his teeth* I don’t have to touch them.

Where do you see yourself in the near future?

…in my mind I don’t know where I’ll be. Where I would like to be in the future, is touring the world with my music.

How do you escape from music?

Gym. Back in the day I used to run for Great Britain, a couple of times. What it was, I kind of got a bit injured then lost motivation, desire. I wanted to do some natural body building as well, we’ll see where that goes…  when I kinda re-evaluate myself I must sound so boring, cos I don’t watch TV, I don’t like fashion, I’m just so like…oooh *face palms his sentences in the air* stay away from all that stuff.

So do you not listen to the news?

Nahh.

Do you not think it’s important?

I believe ‘news’ is important, I don’t believe what we’re being fed is true. I do watch news, but it’s from outside sources …There’s no “okay we have this crisis people, these are our alternatives of what we can do, these are our solutions d-d-d-d-duh this is the problem, and this is what the government is going to … a lot of it is negative so it has a subconscious effect on people and they’re not realising it.

Do you vote?

No.

Why?

Because, I don’t believe that you can change this world by putting someone’s name in a ballet. It doesn’t make any sense to me. They never stick to their word, and there’s a saying…they’re like 
‘different sheets on the same bum.’

But some people truly believe that your vote does count…

If you look at politics throughout history, there’s always been an agenda already set. Its making people think there is a democracy but there isn’t. Well, I don’t believe there is. It’s divide and conquer, going back to Alexander the Great, they divide you through religion, class, whatever it may be cos it’s easier to control. They know that when people come together they are powerless.

What was it like when you met Justin Timberlake?

Ah you saw that! Yeah, that was surreal man. Okay, not surreal but VERY real.

What were you talking about?

one of his managers came out and we were just talking about music and I told him I’m an artist as well. And he went ‘yo, spit some bars man’ and I rapped some bars and then he goes ‘I need to get JT out here’ then Justin Timberlake came out… he was like ‘yo man, waddup?’ We were just talking about music and like being at that level where, where else is there to go? He’s just one of the best musicians in our era, in terms of dancing and music…he’s so so talented.

Do you think there’ll be a time where you’ll be rewarded financially with your music?

I want to be able to live off my music. Where I want to wake up, go to the studio and know I’m being paid for it, you know and provide for people around me. I also want to open up schools and colleges and youth clubs, I’d love that.

Two hours with 4i provided a spectacle of a spiritual and intellectual reality of the inquisitive rapper who lies behind the Paradime masquerade.

What do you fear?

"The one thing that I fear is going deep in water cos that’s when I would feel completely powerless, water have never been on my good side, on top of that you got BEASTS! But then there’s the beauty of it. If you knew everything, what you living for? It keeps me searching."

If you're into lyrical orgasms too, check him out!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.